Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Deliberate, systematic and explicit of Teaching Phonetics


Are we being deliberate and explicit enough?

Jill Ritchie Literacy Consultant from Impact Learning Consulting presented an information session on Supporting Students with Dyslexia.


Many of the students I  have been out to observe or test in my Across schools role seems to have a deficit in their Phonetics knowledge.   This impacts their progress in Reading and writing.

Once again my research leads me to the knowledge that we must be deliberate, explicit teaching of Phonics and Phonemic awareness.

I am wondering is there needs to be a greater emphasis on Phonetics in our Junior classes and a programme designed for our older students that meets their needs and interests.
I am working on a programme with a fellow COL teacher. Stay tuned for further updates.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna, I really think that there should be an emphasis on teaching 'phonemic awareness' because I have seen that helped my second language learners at my level. I really think that it should. Thank you for putting this up as an inquiry and I am looking forward to seeing what you will find.
    thank you
    viena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Donna,

    Loved this post, especially because Jill Ritchie was one of my teachers at primary school in Christchurch - she was an awesome teacher :)

    ReplyDelete